There are times in life when we face circumstances that seem to have no clear answer or solution. Few things are more frustrating, and the helplessness we feel can be debilitating.
When we are children, our parents often step in to “fix” the problem or at least comfort us in our distress. As adults, however; it’s all on us. What can we do when there’s no clear answer; no obvious solution?
We can “light one candle”, or in other words; take 1 small step in a positive direction.
“If I don’t know which way to turn, how do I even do this?”
While we may not know the entire answer, we know what to do in the smaller things right in front of us.
For example, if we’ve suffered a significant career or job setback and don’t know what to do next: we can update our resume, make a phone call to someone in our network, or send an email to former colleagues to let them know we’re looking for a job and asking them to keep us in mind.
If we’re experiencing the loss of a significant relationship, we can choose to reach out to others by volunteering at a food pantry, visiting a home bound elderly neighbor or dropping groceries off to a single mother who is struggling to feed her kids.
When we take a simple, positive step it helps to change our perspective and our entire experience.
This quick & easy candle craft helps us remember that a small, simple action can shine a lot of light in an otherwise darkened area of our lives.
- Small glass votive candle cup
- Votive candle
- Cinnamon sticks
- Hot glue gun w/ glue
- Jute or other string
- Charm of your choice
- Clean off the outside of the glass votive candle holder (glass cleaner).
- Sort out your cinnamon sticks to find the ones best suited to line the outside of the candleholder.
- Place a line of hot glue on the candleholder and place a cinnamon stick on the glass; hold until set.
- Repeat gluing & placing sticks around until you have covered the glass with the cinnamon sticks.
- Measure and cut your jute or twine. Tie around the cinnamon sticks.
- Add charm or other decoration
- Drop votive candle in, light & enjoy!
Each time you enjoy the light & beauty of this candle, remember that you always have the ability to shine some light – to light one candle – on any dark corner that shows up on your life journey.
(C) 2017 SmarttChick